By Ruth Igielnik and Anna Brown of Pew Research
- Politically, the suburbs are evenly divided overall, but some have a clear Democratic or Republican tilt.
- Poverty has increased more sharply in the suburbs than in urban or rural counties.
- Although the population is aging across all community types, suburbs are seeing the most rapid growth in older adults.
- Suburban counties have the highest drug overdose fatality rate of any community type.
- Suburban counties are the only ones that have gained population from other community types, as well as from abroad.